The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
At least 30 workers were killed after a gold mine collapsed on Tuesday morning in the Abba area of Nana-Mambéré prefecture in western Central African Republic. Local authorities and residents said several other workers remained trapped inside the mine following the collapse. The report was published on August 19, 2026.
Deputy sub-prefectural mayor Souleyman B said rescuers and local residents recovered 30 bodies from the rubble after several hours of efforts. Injured workers were receiving treatment. Survivor Florian Gaguende said rescue teams were searching for those trapped underground, though the prospect of finding them alive was diminishing as time passed.
Souleyman B appealed for help from organizations and other supporters to rescue people unable to leave the pit on their own. Government spokesperson Evariste Ngamana offered condolences to the victims’ families and said the government was working fully to provide relief and assistance. Small-scale mines without technical support frequently collapse in the country, where inadequate safety equipment and protections make mining work highly dangerous.
At least 30 workers died in a gold mine collapse in western Central African Republic
Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has sharply criticised FIFA president Gianni Infantino’s leadership and plans to sell ownership stakes or partnerships in FIFA competitions, including the World Cup. In an interview with the BBC reported on August 19, 2026, Masters described the proposal as “self-destructive” and said FIFA should not have considered selling shares in the World Cup.
Masters said FIFA had created the problem itself and would have to find a solution. He argued that, as a non-profit body, FIFA should stage its competitions as a custodian for the long-term interests of world football rather than pursue the proposed arrangement. He called the idea a bad plan.
The report said criticism of Infantino has also come from other football bodies. UEFA has criticised his actions, while the English and Scottish football associations have withdrawn support for him. La Liga president Javier Tebas has called for Infantino to resign. Infantino is preparing to seek re-election as FIFA president next year, and Masters said a potential unity candidate should pursue FIFA reform and structural changes concerning the president’s role and powers.
Richard Masters criticises FIFA plans to sell stakes in World Cup-related competitions
Bangladesh Health and Family Welfare Minister Sardar Md. Sakhawat Hossain met Malaysian High Commissioner to Dhaka Mohammad Shuhada Othman at the minister’s office in the Secretariat on Tuesday, 18 August. The two sides emphasized strengthening mutual cooperation between Bangladesh and Malaysia, particularly in the health sector.
The high commissioner cited Malaysia’s advances in medical care and said Cambodian patients who previously travelled to Thailand now go to Malaysia. He said treatment costs and medicine prices in Malaysia are fixed and lower than in other countries. He added that Malaysia could be a suitable destination for Bangladeshi patients seeking treatment.
According to the high commissioner, interested Bangladeshis can obtain necessary services and assistance through the Malaysia Health Care Travel Council. Praising Malaysia’s medical system, the health minister said arrangements could be made for Bangladeshi specialist doctors to receive training in complex procedures, including kidney, liver and bone marrow transplantation.
Bangladesh and Malaysia discuss health cooperation and specialist medical training
The United States has imposed sanctions on International Criminal Court President Tomoko Akane and court official Abdoulaye Sey. The US Treasury added both officials to its Specially Designated Nationals list on Tuesday, according to the report published on August 19, 2026.
The measures freeze any assets they hold in the United States and prohibit financial transactions with US citizens and institutions. With the latest designations, 10 ICC officials have been sanctioned under an executive order issued by President Donald Trump on February 6, 2025.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio alleged that Akane and Sey were directly involved in efforts to investigate, arrest or prosecute officials from countries that do not accept the court's jurisdiction. He said Washington would broaden efforts to curb the ICC's influence and activities, urging other countries to halt funding and participation. Akane had previously said sanctions would not affect the court's judicial independence, adding that it would not yield to pressure. The ICC had not formally responded to the latest sanctions.
US sanctions ICC President Tomoko Akane and official Abdoulaye Sey
An unidentified woman was killed after being struck by a private car in Rajapur, Jhalakathi. The crash occurred at about 8:45pm on Tuesday on the Jhalakathi-Pirojpur highway. Police and local residents said the woman was crossing the road when a speeding private car hit her, killing her at the scene.
Her name and identity were not known. Local residents said she appeared to be about 60 years old and was mentally unstable. The private car fled quickly after the collision, according to the account provided by police and locals.
Rajapur police recovered the body from the scene and brought it to the police station. Rajapur police investigation inspector Md Firoz Kamal said officers had been sent to the location, efforts were under way to establish the woman’s identity, and procedures for further legal action were continuing.
Unknown woman killed after a speeding private car hits her on Rajapur highway
The United Arab Emirates has suspended all commercial activity, exchanges and financial transactions with Iran until further notice, according to the UAE Foreign Ministry. The ministry said the move was taken amid rising regional tensions. The report was published on August 19, 2026.
Earlier, the UAE Defence Ministry said its air-defence systems detected two ballistic missiles fired from Iran toward the country. It said both missiles fell into the sea, with one landing inside UAE territorial waters and the other outside them. In a post on X, the ministry said the UAE was at maximum alert and fully prepared to address any potential threat.
Retired General and former US assistant secretary of state Mark Kimmitt said the UAE’s trade suspension could be more significant than US sanctions because of the Gulf state's role in Iran’s economy. Speaking to Al Jazeera, he said Dubai and the UAE are Iran’s largest suppliers of imported goods, ahead of China and Turkey. He added that one-third of Iran’s annual imports come from the UAE.
UAE halts trade and financial dealings with Iran amid rising regional tensions
A Kaspersky survey of 7,200 people across several countries found that many Gen Z users treat artificial intelligence as more than a tool for information and work. Published on August 19, 2026, the findings show that 27% of Gen Z respondents speak with AI as if talking to a friend, while 28% seek advice on personal matters they do not easily share with other people.
AI use is also more common among Gen Z than among other generations, according to the research. Some 47% of surveyed young people said they use AI daily or regularly. The most common uses were searching for information, cited by 56%, studying at 49%, generating new ideas at 47%, and workplace tasks at 39%.
The survey also pointed to security concerns. Only 42% of Gen Z AI users regularly take protective measures, including verifying AI-generated information through reliable sources and avoiding sharing personal or confidential data. Another 52% do so occasionally, while 6% take no precautions. Kaspersky AI Technology Research Center group manager Vladislav Tushkanov said personal AI interactions should not be considered fully private or reliable conversations.
Kaspersky survey finds Gen Z increasingly turns to AI for personal conversations and advice
The trial of 11 employees accused of child abuse and neglect at a daycare center in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, began in a local court on August 18. The case concerns Little Aresha Daycare, where police said they found several children aged two to six with their hands and feet bound during a raid in April. Some children were allegedly tied to doors.
Prosecutors alleged that children were denied food as punishment, had their heads submerged in water, and were restrained by their legs. They said many children suffered psychological harm, including sleep problems and persistent fear. The case has prompted nationwide outrage and calls for tighter government oversight of daycare centers, as well as scrutiny of staff recruitment and training.
Police have identified 32 people as suspects or defendants in the investigation. The daycare is accused of operating without required authorization from 2022 to 2026. Its chairwoman, Diah Kusumastuti, is also accused of ordering abuse and operating an unlicensed institution. Convictions could carry up to five years in prison and a 100 million Indonesian rupiah fine, though the accused remain presumed innocent pending a final verdict.
Trial opens for 11 staff accused of abuse and neglect at a Yogyakarta daycare
Borhanuddin উপজেলা Chhatra Dal in Bhola permanently expelled two local leaders after allegations that a young man was held in an isolated place, beaten and threatened for a Tk 10 lakh ransom. The announcement was made in a Tuesday press release signed by upazila unit president Danish Chowdhury and general secretary Tanzil Hawladar. The accused are Mo. Mehedi Hasan Polin, organisational secretary of Tobgi union Chhatra Dal, and assistant office secretary Mo. Iman Hawladar.
The organisation said the two were expelled from their primary membership and all organisational activities over specific allegations of moral misconduct and breaches of organisational discipline. The alleged victim, Mo. Al-Mamun Mithu, said he was taken to an isolated location on August 15 on the pretext of a birthday invitation.
Mithu alleged that he was assaulted, an objectionable video was recorded under intimidation, and Tk 10 lakh was demanded with threats to circulate it. He also alleged cash, mobile banking funds and a gold chain were taken from him. He filed a written complaint with Borhanuddin police station. Both expelled leaders denied the allegations, while police said the complaint is under investigation and legal action will follow if evidence is found.
Two Chhatra Dal leaders expelled in Bhola over alleged assault and Tk 10 lakh ransom demand
A dispute has emerged in Texas over planned and existing airport facilities for Muslim passengers to perform ablution before prayers. Governor Greg Abbott ordered a review of state funding for Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport, and said grants could be halted. The issue was also referred to the US Department of Transportation for investigation.
The controversy began over a proposal for a separate ablution area at Dallas-Fort Worth. Abbott argued that publicly operated airports should not give special treatment to one religious group. The airport subsequently cancelled the plan, saying a rapid review found that the project would not provide the expected operational benefits.
Houston’s airport has had an ablution facility since 2024. Airport officials said it is available to all passengers, staff and others with terminal access, rather than only Muslims. Houston Mayor John Whitmire similarly said it does not provide preferential treatment to any religion. The Council on American-Islamic Relations called the governor’s stance political and anti-Muslim, describing ablution space as a routine passenger service that can also support cleanliness and management.
Texas funding review sparks debate over airport ablution facilities for Muslim passengers
In a column published by Amar Desh on August 19, 2026, Mahmudur Rahman praised Prime Minister Tarique Rahman’s foreign-policy approach during his first six months in office. The writer said Rahman’s decision to make Malaysia and China his first foreign destinations, rather than India, demonstrated diplomatic skill and an independent stance for Bangladesh.
The article argues that Bangladesh should maintain a self-respecting position in relations with India while recognizing India as an important and powerful neighbour. Rahman says a high-level bilateral visit is necessary, but contends it should not take place hurriedly on the sidelines of an international summit or without preparation. He attributes various political positions and motivations to BNP, Jamaat-e-Islami, NCP, India and other actors.
The columnist lists unresolved matters he says require substantive discussions, including the return of Sheikh Hasina and other fugitives, the Ganges water treaty, the Teesta agreement, border killings, alleged push-ins, narcotics, smuggling, trade, travel, cricket and visas. He says a Delhi visit by the prime minister should take place this year at a mutually convenient time.
Columnist lauds Tarique Rahman’s foreign policy and urges prepared talks with India
A report published on August 19, 2026 alleges that Bangladesh’s ruling BNP has fallen short of its election pledge to build a merit-based, politically neutral public administration. The report says political considerations have shaped appointments across government agencies, institutions and offices during the government’s first six months. Prime Minister Tarique Rahman said on Tuesday that the government wants to give honest and skilled officials greater opportunities to work and build a people-friendly administration.
The report says 28 public universities received new vice-chancellors in the first six months, with teachers alleging that partisan affiliation was prioritized over merit and qualifications. It also cites concerns over appointments of party figures to senior posts in 11 agencies and institutions, as well as administrators in city corporations and district councils. Former cabinet secretary Ali Imam Majumder warned that broad political appointments could make the administration more controversial.
Transparency International Bangladesh Executive Director Iftekharuzzaman said appointments and removals in key institutions reflected a continuing culture of partisan dominance. Service recipients interviewed in eight districts alleged that bribery, corruption and delays in public offices remain widespread. The report also says recommendations from an administrative reform commission led by retired civil servant Abdul Muyeed Chowdhury have not yet been implemented.
Report alleges political appointments and stalled reforms despite BNP’s merit-based administration pledge
A recent YouGov survey found that 47% of British respondents support reducing or completely stopping immigration to the United Kingdom from Israel. The result, reported on August 19, 2026, places Israel behind Russia, Pakistan and Nigeria among countries whose immigration Britons are most likely to want reduced or halted.
Only 5% of respondents said the United Kingdom should allow more immigrants from Israel, while 24% supported maintaining immigration at its current level. Compared with a similar survey in 2016, support for reducing or ending immigration from Israel rose by 8 percentage points.
The survey analysis said international conflicts, including the Gaza war, and changing global perceptions of Israel may be contributing to the trend. The source also noted broader concern in Britain about overall immigration levels. Attitudes were comparatively more positive toward immigration from countries such as Ireland, Canada and Australia, indicating that views vary depending on immigrants’ country of origin.
YouGov survey finds 47% of Britons want immigration from Israel reduced or stopped
Saudi Arabia has removed the sentence “Muslims will never leave Jerusalem” from its school textbooks, according to a review by Israeli curriculum-monitoring organization IMPACT-se. The change was identified in Saudi textbooks for the 2025-26 academic year and follows broader recent revisions to material concerning Israel, Jews and Jerusalem. The sentence appeared in the 2023-24 edition of an eleventh-grade Arabic-language textbook and was fully removed beginning with the 2024-25 edition.
The review said terminology concerning Israel and Jews has also changed in some books. In one instance, “Zionist enemy” was replaced with “Israeli occupation.” The name Palestine was removed from several maps, while some areas were left unnamed. Earlier harsh language about religious and minority groups was also removed or altered.
IMPACT-se said the revisions place greater emphasis on coexistence, tolerance and moderation, although some controversial content remains. The changes have prompted discussion about possible future Saudi-Israeli relations. Saudi Arabia, however, continues to state publicly that it will not establish full diplomatic relations with Israel without a Palestinian state and guarantees that East Jerusalem would be its capital.
Saudi textbooks removed a Jerusalem pledge amid wider curriculum revisions
Defaulted loans at Bangladesh’s five state-owned banks rose by Tk6,304 crore in the first six months of the current government, despite efforts to reduce bad debts and policy support from Bangladesh Bank. At the end of June, combined defaulted loans at Sonali, Janata, Agrani, Rupali and BASIC banks stood at Tk151,343 crore, up from Tk145,039 crore in December. The BNP formed the government on February 17 after winning the 13th parliamentary election.
Agrani Bank recorded the largest increase, with defaulted loans rising Tk3,518 crore to Tk32,133 crore. Janata Bank’s bad loans increased Tk3,020 crore to Tk75,558 crore, the highest among the five banks. Its top 20 borrower groups account for Tk52,418 crore, or about 72 percent, of total defaulted loans. Rupali’s defaulted loans rose Tk159 crore, while Sonali’s fell to Tk15,710 crore and BASIC’s declined to Tk8,152 crore.
Bank officials cited borrowers’ unwillingness to repay, slow legal processes and weakened recovery efforts after political changes. Agrani’s managing director said roughly half of its bad loans are held by its 20 largest borrowers. The report said no major effective government initiative on state-bank reform, governance or loan recovery had become visible during the first six months.
Five state banks’ defaulted loans rose Tk6,304 crore in six months
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.